Bodhi Tree Yoga Teacher Training
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

plantar fasciitis & sciatica

3 posters

Go down

plantar fasciitis  &  sciatica Empty plantar fasciitis & sciatica

Post  rcquam Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:58 am

Is there any postures that are beneficial for this condition (plantar fasciitis? Any that one shouldn't be doing?

Are there some postures that those with sciatic stuff shouldn't be doing. I thought we talked about that, but I can't find anything in my notes.

rcquam

Back to top Go down

plantar fasciitis  &  sciatica Empty Re: plantar fasciitis & sciatica

Post  YogiColin Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:36 am

ask sarah about it this weekend - you are doing some anatomy and yoga therapy stuff.
YogiColin
YogiColin
Admin

https://teachertraining.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  yogamama! Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:52 pm

did you remember to ask about this stuff in TTP this weekend?
yogamama!
yogamama!

Back to top Go down

plantar fasciitis  &  sciatica Empty yes,

Post  rcquam Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:31 pm

but I forgot to ask if there's any postures to not do with plantar fasciitis. Because if the muscle is pulling away from the bone, would there be stretches that would aggravate that or make it worse.
ANd what postures do we completely do not do with sciatica. Basically my understanding is that if someone has true sciatica, they would not be walking very easily into yoga class, and if they do limp in, I should sent them somewhere else so they don't hurt themselves around me. (not that I would say it like that blunt).

rcquam

Back to top Go down

Post  yogamama! Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:23 am

Watch stuff like setting the heels down without warming up the calves first in postures like downward dog, etc.
For sciatica, it is important to know the cause. If it is caused by a bulging or herniated disc you want to watch forward bending(only if the lumbar curve is flattened). If the curve is flattened then you want to encourage gentle back bends. If the cause is pirifomis syndrome, see here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_syndrome
then general yoga practice should do them some good with particular emphasis on flexibility in the lower body.
If the cause is spondylolisthesis, see here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spondylolisthesis
then you absolutely want to watch bending of all kinds and likely they should not be in a standard yoga class.
I hope that helps.
yogamama!
yogamama!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum